Sunday, 17 January 2010

Out and about.

So, this morning I woke up and found...

Blue skies! The first blue sky I've seen since... well for a long time since we didn't even really have many in Chicago either. I think that's why I feel a bit more at home, because the weather here, although slightly less psycho and cold, is pretty much the same. Random rain/snow during certain times of the year, long periods of time with gloom and rain and then some spots of sun.

Today was gorgeous. Still is gorgeous since it isn't over yet. Although by about this time (3:00 pm) I've done what I've wanted to do for the day and am ready to watch a few DVDs or read and finish my homework.

Anyway. I got up and went to walk around High Street today, which is up by the library I talked about the other day. And remember when I said I got lost last Tuesday? If I had walked just a little bit further down the street, I would have gotten to where I needed to go that morning.

Go figure.

Anyway, I made my way out there, cutting through campus and taking the way I knew existed. I did take pictures! But for some reason my network isn't letting me upload them to my flickr account, but I am going up to the library tomorrow anyway, so I will be able to do it then.

I arrived in a huge part of town that is absolutely filled with stores. There is no car access so walking around in the street is totally fine. Kind of like Ren Faire only obviously modern. Some of the stores were familiar and there were a ton of clothing stores and I found another two tattoo places. :] So I walked up and down the street, just kind of looking around. Nothing really caught my eye that I would want to buy and I think everyone is going to be getting stuff from other places for the most part. I ate at McDonald's (don't yell... I know, I know) but it tasted different too! Sweeter, I think. There was a Burger King and a Pizza Hut, as well as a handful of Subways too. So those kids during the orientation that said there was nothing were full of it, I think.

Plenty of cafes and pubs to go visit and some really cool shops. Video game shops, chocolate stores, nail salons (which were interesting because they said they were 'American style' shops... dunno what that means) and even an American comic book store. It was amazing and a lot of sales were going on. Everything is pretty cheap, actually and I kind of wish I had brought that other suitcase. I might end up shipping some stuff home, I think, by the end of this trip.

But anyway, I ate and walked around a bit more before coming back to my flat. Another one of my roommates was moving in and I met her. She seemed really nice and I told her my door was always open (or cracked, as they don't actually stay open) and so hopefully I'll get to know her a bit more. Passed the other American in the room next to me and one of her friends (both from ISU) and they were on their way back out to High Street. I might stop back out there when I go to the library tomorrow. I also need to do laundry... the washer and dryer are tiny! And in the kitchen... so we'll see how that works out.

That's all for now, but I'm sure everyone is sick of reading by this point. Love you all and miss you! And hopefully I'll have some pictures up for you tomorrow!

<3

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment