Friday, 15 January 2010

If Heaven were a library...

... it would be on Canterbury's campus.

I had my library tour today and while I've been inside Augustine House before, I only stayed on the first level and accessed the help desk for my internet stuff. So going inside and actually going up the stairs and going through the glass doors for everything... it absolutely blew my mind.

This building opened in September of 2009, so not that long ago. Wi-Fi, amazing chairs and tables, and the technology is insane. Smart Boards everywhere (interactive white boards, basically)and the loan out laptops for you to use in the library if you want, without having to check it out or anything. It's intense. Not to mention, some of the stacks are movable! By pressing a few buttons you can move entire shelving units to get to the book you need. It's so crazy.

There's a cafe where they sell food and food is allowed in the computer labs. Sure, full meals aren't really recommended, it's alright. There's one room that is open later for us to print things out and everything like that. Fantastic resources and while they seem to be focused mainly on electronic resources, there is so much there. I have a feeling I'll be there more often than not, if only to steal the wi-fi that I set up today.

I swear I will post pictures soon. Next week we are touring Canterbury and the Cathedral so that will give me plenty of pictures to post. I feel like such a tourist with my camera out so picture taking has been on the minimum. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and just kind of walk around town. Get a bit lost and find that awesome shopping street I walked around in the other morning.

Awesome stuff.

Miss you all and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment