Saturday, 20 February 2010

Haggis?

Got back into England today, a little earlier than we had planned. But after a few days of walking around, we had all gotten too tired to spend the day in Edingburgh and took a sleeper train back to Canterbury from Inverness. There aren't as many pictures as I thought I had on my flickr, but at least you all will get an idea of what we saw.

First was Glasgow and we got there a little after 4 or 5 and only really got to walk around the city center. It was really pretty and a fantastic place and everyone was so nice! A man gave us directions to a hostel that pretty much spoiled us (especially compared to other hostels) and we had some great food in a place called Drum and Monkey. Didn't do much but kind of walked around and just hung out in Scotland that night.

The next morning, we took an early train to Inverness, which was absolutely gorgeous. A smaller town but so quaint and pretty up in the mountains! Really, really far north. The furthest north I've ever been, ever. We walked around for a bit, found a hostel and then kind of meandered around the town. Went into the tourist building and booked a tour up to Loch Ness, where we went the following day. But before that, we walked around and had some dinner at a place called The Phoenix. Everyone was so nice and accommodating, even if our hostel wasn't the best of conditions and we were a bit cold. But that's alright.

Loch Ness was absolutely gorgeous. And no, other than the statue I got a picture with, I didn't see Nessie, which was sad. But the castle and lake itself was just... so pretty. The tour was only about 2 1/2 hours so we came back to Inverness and had lunch, walked around and ended up having dinner as well... and decided to come back to England instead of heading onto Edinburgh that night. Which was fine by me so we took a sleeper train back into London, which wasn't too bad, even if the trip was about 11 hours! Crazy, but worth it and I'm glad I'm back in Canterbury.

The trip was awesome... now I just have to figure out the fussy flat... because I turned on the dryer and I think I blew a fuse.

Hm. Must go figure that out.

Love you all and miss you!
-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment